September 25, 2017
The Maltese is a timeless breed that is considered one of the oldest toy dogs still in existence. Originally thought to hail from the island of Malta, the Maltese has graced the laps of many different types of people. Whether they were companions to sailors from the Mediterranean or European royalty, this little white fluffball has certainly stood the test of time! They are sweet, affectionate and loyal to their owners. And their signature white coats and little black button noses have not changed since the beginning and continue to charm people every day in our store. But maybe you want to know more about the Maltese and what their personalities are like before you add Maltese for sale to your family? Look no further! We want to educate and inform people about what might be the best breed for their families!
Check out more about the adorable and famous Maltese:
- As the Maltese is a toy breed, they typically stay around 5-9lbs. This also makes them ideal for apartments, condos and smaller environments with or without a yard.
- The Maltese, despite their diminutive size, are an energetic breed and do need to take walks or engage in playtime every day.
- They are typically a quiet breed, when it comes to talking about the toy category, but they will alert you to people at the door or cars in the driveway.
- Their glorious white coats grow continuously and will have to be brushed daily and groomed regularly to keep it from matting. However, they are considered very low-shedders and work well for people with allergies as they have no pet dander typical to other dog breeds.
- The Maltese is gentle, affectionate, intelligent, responsive and trusting. A good family dog, Maltese are lively, playful, vigorous, and they generally enjoys learning tricks. They can be snappy with raucous children who handle them roughly though and do better with older children.
These bullets are just a small bit of information on this wonderful breed! Check out our Maltese breed information page to delve into the world of the Maltese a little more. You can also give our knowledgeable Pet Counselors a call with any additional questions you might have! And, as always, you can check out our available puppies page to see all of our Maltese for sale in our store!